Some facts about Melbourne Morton Gardner, PGM
Melbourne Morton GARDNER
Here are some facts relating to the masonic career of Most Worshipful Brother M. M. Gardner.
Apparently eager to join the fraternity, Brother Gardner was 21 years of age when he made
application and was initiated on March 3, 1908 and raised in May of 1908. In 1914 he was
Master of Unity Lodge #4 and on the occasion of his mastership in the words of
Past Grand Master Augustus John Wolff, it was to be a banner year for Unity #4.
The succeeding years placed no limitations or bounds on his Masonic enthusiasum
and from 1926 to 1928 he was District Deputy Grand Master of District #5 (today known as
the Lunenburg-Queens District); he was Deputy Grand Master in 1933 and the
Grand Master of Masons in Nova Scotia in 1935.
Among the several Masonic achievements to his credit he holds the 50 year jewel along
with the 70 year bar awarded in 1978. He holds the Erasmus James Philipps Bronze
Medallion for distinguished service. He is a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the
Provincial Chapter of the Royal Order of Scotland. He is a member of Philae Temple
of the Mystic Shrine. In 1957 in recognition of his outstanding service to freemasonry
in general and the Scottish Rite in particular, he was coronetted as an honourary member,
that is, the 33rd degree of the Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite in Canada.
In addition to his mother lodge Unity #4, he also holds membership in Prince of Wales
Lodge #29 in Milton, NS. He has life memberships in Loop Lodge, Mobile, Alabama
and Ormond Beach Lodge in Florida.
Aside from the masonic career of M. M. Gardner, he has also taken an active and
distinguished part in business, church and community life through the years.
He taught school for 2 years and was a bank clerk in Halifax. Later returning
to Lunenburg County he rose to position of manager of a large fish processing
firm from which position he retired after 33 years with the company. In community
endevours he has served as Town Councillor, Chairman of the school commission for
10 years, Chairman of the first Victory Bond campaign in 1941; first manager of NS
Fish Exhibition, as well as being president of several well known organizations
such as Board of Trade, Red Cross Society, Kiwanis Club and affiliated with Kings
College in Windsor and the Victoria General Hospital in Halifax. He has also taken
an active interest in the church life of his community and in this regard has
written a most interesting account of nearly 200 years of the History of St. John’s
Anglican Church in Lunenburg.
This excerpt taken from a document written in October 1971 by the Historian of the day, amended to 1978.