The History of Prince of Wales Lodge No.29 R.N.S.
Milton, Nova Scotia
PRINCE OF WALES LODGE is located at 304 Main Street in the community of
Milton, County of Queens, N.S. Though it was located originally at
Liverpool some two or three miles away, Milton Masons played a part in
its founding; and perhaps a greater part in that secret agitation which
culminated in the breaking away from Zetland and the founding of a
second Lodge in one small town.
This covers the period 1860 – 1926
The state of Freemasonry at Milton in 1860 can be easily given. There
were six Master Masons in the village; all of them young men, who had
been members of the Craft but a short time – Bros. Joshua N. Freeman and
Robert W. Freeman, sons of Stewart Freeman; Samuel Freeman and S. Parker
Freeman, sons of Samuel Freeman Sr. and cousins of the two former; James
Collie who came from Pictou County as a school teacher; and Allen
Tupper, a ship owner of the village, occasionally home from foreign
Of these six Masons who eventually became members of Prince of Wales,
Brother Allen Tupper is the only one whose certificate can be located.
It states that he received his three degrees in George Washington Lodge
No. 285, State of New York; and is dated May 14th, 1860. Freemasonry at
Milton was not then flourishing. A sentiment hostile to the ancient
Craft seems to have been planted in the little settlement. There were
some holding views of such a nature who spoke out really loudly and
soulfully, on the matter. One prominent citizen of the place expressed
his feelings in audible words, referring to Masonic ceremonies as
“monkey shines”. In Liverpool, the Shire town, Freemasonry was in a
more flourishing condition. There may have been some who spoke of the
Order in current persiflage or slang now obsolete. Of this we know not.
Zetland Lodge had been formed there prior to 1849. Natives of both
Milton and Liverpool were among its members. A considerable number of
professional and businessmen had moved into the town, and had set up in
their respective lines. How many brought their Masonry with them we
cannot say. Previous to 1854 Masonic parades were a feature in
Liverpool. Mr. Robert Long says that as a small boy he liked to see
Henry Holmes carring the Bible.
Outside of those brothers who later formed or affiliated with Prince of
Wales, some of the Liverpool Craft were Brothers: Samuel Delisser, a
colored man from Barbadoes, who kept a grocery on Market Street and
served luncheon and dinners at all hours; Sandy Green, another colored
man; John W. Scott, proprietor of the “Liverpool House”; C.E.D. Snow, a
grocer on the corner of Main and Union Streets; John Edgar, Watchmaker,
whose former home was Yarmouth; J.N.S. Marshall, Barrister; Henry W.
Smith, a Past Master of Zetland Lodge, occupation Barrister; John W.
Cobb, a sailmaker; Charles Morse, a Barrister; James Forbes, Physician;
Archibald Campbell, James Van Buskirk, Mahlon D. Vail, and J.M.
Why Zetland Lodge was not sufficient to serve the purposes of Masonry in
Liverpool Township is a story that today must be obtained outside of
both Zetland and Prince of Wales. To say that there existed either
friction or dissatisfaction within the walls of Zetland is true, but not
enough. To record that there were a number of Brothers with an ardent
yearning after peace and harmony is merely garbing an unfortunate fact
with words; and is but a slovenly mode of avoiding the details of an
unpleasant situation. You of the Craft are taught the dimensions of a
Lodge. But Zetland Lodge room was far too small to contain the feud
existing between Worshipful Master Henry W. Smith and Brother Sam Allen.
Had our pugnacious Brother the Editor kept the unmasonic sentiments he
cherished for the Worshipful Master out of his newspaper, this part of
our Lodge history could never have been written. Had Brother Allen
fought it out with fists in the public street with Brother Smith, as he
did with Brother Agnew, Prince of Wales Lodge might never have been
Borrowing the phraseology of Old England – “and there you are”. The one
Brother was an editor, the other a lawyer. They both used the
advantages of their respective professions against each other. In the
autumn of 1860 the quarrel had culminated in a lawsuit. Brother Smith
had brought an action for libel against Brother Allen. As a logical
sequence, factions in the Order must follow; and arise to disturb the
peace and harmony of this worshipful Lodge, erected and dedicated. Of
the secret consultations held by the Brothers of the dissatisfied
faction at Liverpool we know nothing; but we have one authentic case of
the Milton Craft gathering while the suit was pending.
The six Milton Masons had been firm friends from the time of their
earliest acquaintance. Their reciprocal friendship through life is one
of the brightest spots in the history of Freemasonry at Milton; and is a
heritage which has passed to a second generation.
On Monday October 1st, 1860, Brothers James Collie, Allen Tupper, Parker
Freeman and Joshua Freeman started for the Lakes at the head of the
Liverpool River on a land cruise and moose hunt. Business and pleasure
combined. It was a fine morning with the wind Northwest, and clear.
Brothers Samuel Freeman and Robert W. Freeman not electing to go, their
places were filled by Brothers James E. Perley and Archibald Campbell of
Liverpool. The deliberations of this Masonic Junta are not known.
Their arguments and resolutions, passed beside the blazing campfire at
Rossignol or Tobeatic can never be written of, except in works of
On October 10th, 1860, william Ford writed in his Diary: “The libel case
between Smith and Allan, the printer of the Liverpool Transcript, was
tried today. Verdict: 30 shillings for Smith.”
The early records of Zetland, we understand, have been destroyed in some
fire. This prevents us from getting further facts about our breaking
away from that Lodge. The only documents available are the old
certificates of membership. These show up Zetland as a very old Lodge.
The certificate of Bro. George W. Boehner, our first Master, states that
he was “regularly received into Freemasonry on the 28th day of June A.L.
5849 and was admitted to the third degree on the 23rd day of August 5849
in the Zetland Lodge No. 821 Liverpool, Nova Scotia.” It was issued
under the authority of the United Grand of England, the Earl of Zetland
Grand Master, and the signature of the Grand Secretary on it looks very
much like William H. White.
Thanks to Mr. Robert Long, we have a list of the officers of Zetland
Lodge, elected on January 3rd, 1856:
- W. M. Bro. A. J. Campbell
- S. W. Bro. Alex Cowie
- J. W. Bro. George Boehner
- Treasurer Bro. More F. Agnew
- Secretary Bro. J.N.S. Marshall
- S. D. Bro. J.W. Cobb
- J. D. Bro. John Edgar
- Tyler Bro. B. Coburn
The new Lodge was called “Prince of Wales” after the Prince who visited
Nova Scotia in 1860. The number, as taken from certificates issued to
those raised within its walls in 1861 was Number 1266. And we must
suppose that the Charter was issued by the will and pleasure and mere
motion of “Most Worshipful Brother Thomas Dundas, Earl of Zetland of
Aske, in the County of York Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of
England.” We must infer that the Lodge has had three separate Charters;
one at the time of founding – one at the change from English to Nova
Scotian Registry, about 1869 – and the present Charter of 1877 obtained
after the fire, 1876.
The first Lodge room of Prince of Wales was the “Victoria Hall” in the
town of Liverpool. This building stood facing and abutting Main Street
near the intersection with Union Street, called at times Fraser’s,
Snow’s, Millard’s Corner. It was on the house lot of John Mulhall, and
stood between his house and the Knowles house; or at the present time
the site is between the front lawn of Bro. D.C. Mulhall and Bro. W.
Hemeon. John Mulhall and Starrat Parker used the ground floor as a
store while shipbuilding; and behind was a small carpenter shop where an
old man made furniture. The Victoria Hall where Prince of Wales met was
upstairs. This building was destroyed in the big fire of Liverpool on
September 14th, 1865, when Bro. C. Snow’s house were saved by covering
the roofs with wet carpets and mats. Brother Boehner’s buildings were
on fire that day but were saved, and the Secretary of the Lodge, Bro.
J.L. Hemeon, lost his residence during that terrible week of fires.
However, the Lodge records were saved; nor can we find that Prince of
Wales lost any property whatever, unless it was the Master’s carpet.
The Lodge met from the time of the burning of Victoria Hall at Liverpool
until they moved into the Wyman Building at Milton in Zetland Lodge
room. A determined effort is being made to secure the portraits of
everyone of the fifteen founders of the Lodge. There were thirteen
Master Masons present at the organization meeting, and thirteen who
shortly after divided the initial expense; but in some way there are
fifteen who must be considered as founders, and whom we will briefly
Brother Henry C. Holmes was a colored man. He was the first Tyler of
Prince of Wales. A decidedly useful man; he could paint the outside of
the Lodge building, decorate the inside with chart or Master’s carpet,
or make aprons for his fellows. Another colored man reminiscently
remarked of his: “most the silentest man I ever knew; good religious man.
Yes Sir. English Churchman”
Bro. George W. Boehner was the first Master. His trade as carpenter
made him also a useful member of the Lodge. He was a Contractor,
Ship builder and Ship owner.
Bro. Henry B. Hallett, the first Senior Warden came from Guernsey,
Channel Isles. He was a true Mason, a faithful Lodge man, and a good
Tailor. He was Master of the Lodge in 1864 and 1865.
Bro. James Collie of Milton was the first Junior Warden. His former home
has been in Pictou County. He was at first a school teacher, but soon
became actively engaged in lumbering, and engaged extensively in ship
building. He was captain of the Rossignol Volunteers, and later County
Clerk. He was a masterful man, with a lust for politics, love of
intrigue and decidedly prankish tendencies. If anyone really wishes to
know who took the initiative in the breaking away from Zetland, why look
Bro. Thomas Rees, the first Senior Deacon, was a master mariner, and
sailed out of Liverpool at times in command of Milton barks, built by
Bro. Allen Tupper and Bro. James Collie. About the time of the forming
of Prince of Wales, he had set up a store on the corner of Main and
Market Streets, dealing in Ship Chandlery, Groceries, and Furniture.
Bro. Samuel Freeman of Milton, the first Junior Deacon, belonged to a
family that for four generation had led in the industry of the place.
The firm of Samuel Freeman and Sons, of which he was a member, was one
of the three leading lumbering concerns of Queens County, and among the
largest land owners of Nova Scotia. They engaged in shipbuilding, but
only to accommodate their own business. Brother Freeman represented
Queens County in the Provincial Assembly; and held a Commission as
Colonel. He is the only founder of Prince of Wales who had had
grandsons raised in that Lodge. In 1863, in connection with the
Volunteers, he used our present Lodge room as an Armory for storing
Bro James L. Hemeon, the first Treasurer, was a Druggist on Main Street,
near the old Bridge Lane, which ran down to the toll bridge of 1816-
1866. In connection with the business he sold a wonderful hair oil put
up by himself, which not only beautified and preserved, but curled the
hair as well. He was also agent for the Halifax Marble Works; and for a
time was County Treasurer. His Masonic Diploma was destroyed in the
Bro. Samuel J. McIntosh Allen was the first Secretary of the Lodge. He
edited and printed a “family and general newspaper” called the Liverpool
Transcript. He was also for a time the printer of the “Leader” and
another short-lived paper edited at Milton, in the Conservative
interests, and called “Conservative.” To those in search of advertising,
job printing, trouble, etc. he could be found at his sanctum in the
Bro. More F. Agnew came from Belfast in Ireland. He practised dentistry
at Liverpool, and kept a stock of jewelry on the side. He was a man of
some education, talent and pronounced habits – a stirring citizen of
good spirits, who is still remembered as the Rough Ashlar of the Lodge.
He sometimes practised his profession at Milton, renting rooms from
Edward Kempton, and opening up a Dental Parlour.
Bro. James C. Bartling, Master Mariner, represented Queens County in the
Assembly from 1878 to 1882. His extensive correspondence with the West
Indies made him the most popular man in Liverpool among the small-boy
Bro. Robert W. Freeman seems to have paid his dues from the beginning
and must be considered as one of the fifteen Founders, though he was not
present at the organization meeting of April 1861. He removed to Jordan
in Shelburne County, where he engaged in lumbering. He does not appear
prominently in the Lodge records.
Bro. Joshua N. Freeman of Milton was a Founder of the Lodge, and one of
its most popular members. He was the first Milton brother to become
Worshipful Master, and filled that office in 1866-18767 and 1870. He
engaged in lumbering.
Bro. Joseph B. Pattillo was present at the organization meeting of April
1861 and appears to have joined the Lodge a few months after. He was a
son of Thomas R. Pattillo Senior, one of Liverpool’s ship owners; a
particularly worthy citizen. Bro. Joseph B. Pattillo died at sea of
dysentery, while in command of one of his father’s barques, the “Thomas
R. Pattillo”. Word of his death reached Liverpool on what is locally
known as the cold Friday.
Bro. James E. Perley was a stepson of Thomas R. Pattillo Senior. Young
Perley, like his brother young Tom Pattillo, was something of a
sportsman. He hunted the moose on their native bogs and laid in wait for
the geese and ducks. Whether exposure at such times shortened his days
we cannot say; but he was never robust, and was the first of the Lodge
Founders to pass away. His occupation was grocer.
Bro. John scobey must be considered as one of the fifteen Founders, as
his dues are paid up from the beginning. He was a Master Mariner, and
was one of the sea captains of Samuel Freeman & Sons.
Excerpts of Prince of Wales Lodge Minutes
“Victoria Hall, Liverpool
Tuesday, April 9th, 1861
“A meeting for the purpose of forming a Lodge of Free and Accepted
Masons was convened this evening at half past seven o’clock. There were
present thirteen Master Masons, viz: George W. Boehner, Henry B.
Hallett, James C. Bartling, James E. Perley, James Collie, Thomas Rees,
James L. Hemeon, Joshua N. Freeman, More F. Agnew, Samuel Freeman,
S.J.M. Allen, Henry C. Holmes, Joseph Pattillo.
“The meeting was called to order by George W. Boehner, and S.J.M. Allen
appointed Secretary, who was requested to read the authority, which was
a dispensation from the Provincial Grand Master, Hon. Alex. Keith, for
holding this meeting and forming a Lodge to be called ‘Prince of Wales’,
located in the town of Liverpool, Nova Scotia. A Master was elected, who
immediately proceeded to install the officers for the coming year, who
were as follows:
- Bro. G.W. Boehner Master
- Bro. H. B. Hallett Senior Warden
- Bro. James Collie Junior Warden
- Bro. J. L. Hemeon Treasurer
- Bro. S. J. M. Allen Secretary
- Bro. Thomas Rees Senior Deacon
- Bro. Samuel Freeman Junior Deacon
- Bro. H. C. Holmes Tyler
“Bros. Rees, Hallett and Collie were appointed a Committee of
Investigation, and Bros. Perley, Agnew, Rees, Hemeon and Joshua N.
Freeman, a Committee of Management. Petitions were received from Mr.
Henry Mack of Mill Village, and Capt. Thomas Day of Bristol, wishing to
be initiated into the mysteries of Masonry.
“The Bye Laws were taken up and passed, clause by clause. A clean copy
was afterwards ordered to be prepared by the Secretary and forwarded to
the Provincial Grand Master for his approval.
“Sufficient meeting notices to last for twelve months – seven quites –
were ordered to be printed.
“Receipts of the evening, proposition fees $12.00 paid over to the
“Lodge closed on the first degree in peace and harmony.
“S. J. M. Allen, Secretary”
“Liverpool, Wednesday May 1, 1861
“A special meeting of Priance of Wales Lodge took place at the Hall this
evening. The meeting was called to receive the several accounts for
furniture, jewels and implements, and fitting up the room. The aggregate
of said accounts amounted to $315.12(1/2) – which was passed separately,
and divided into thirteen equal parts – each member to pay his portion”
For over four years, the Minutes show that Prince of Wales Lodge held
all its meetings at Liverpool.
May 14th, 1861 – “It was proposed – as Bro. Hallett was about goint to
Halifax – that he be put in possession of funce to by velvet for cushion
for altar, and suitable book for Secretary’s table.
June 11th, 1861 – “It was decided by the Lodge to apply to the
Provincial Grand Master for authority to hold meetings of instruction on
Monday evening of each week. The secretary was requested to attend to
the same.” etc. etc.
“A discussion arose about the ventilation of the Hall, and Bro. Boehner
was requested to attend to the same.” etc. etc.
“The monthly dues were collected brom Bros. Boehner, Collie, Hallett,
Bartling, Hemeon and Rees – 25 Cts. each. and 50 cts. from Samuel and
Aug. 13th, 1861 – “It was moved and carried that the sum of $240.00 be
insured on the furniture of this lodge room. And Bro. Rees was
requested to attend to effecting the same. It was ordered by the Lodge
that the Master procure a suitable chest to keep the regalia and jewels
in. Also a box for Secretary’s books and papers.
“A proposition, accompanied with $4.00 was received from Bro. Joseph
Pattillo, wishing to become a member of this Lodge. Accepted.
September 10th, 1861 – “A circular read at the last meeting from Bro.
Archibald Scott, Halifax in reference to the formation of a Grand Lodge
of Nova Scotia was brought forward, and after some discussion the
sentiments therein contained were approved of by a vote of the Lodge.”
December 10th, 1861 – “Bro. Edgar from Zetland Lodge stated that a
Committee had been appointed by that Lodge to confer with this Lodge in
making suitable arrangements for the celebration of the festival of St.
John’s Day – 27th inst., A Committee of the whole Lodge was formed for
Jan. 14th, 1862 – “It was afterwards proposed that Bro. Boehner make
inquiries preparatory to porcuring a Charter for this Lodge.”
February 11th, 1862 – At this meeting Bro. John Scobey pays $2.25 dues.”
This is the first mention of Brother Scobey, but he is here paying up
his dues from the beginning, and must be considered one of the Founders
of Prince of Wales Lodge.
At the organization meeting of Prince of Wales, thirteen Master Masons
were present. Before eleven months had passed, the Omnipotent Craftsman
had called from earthly labor to celestial refreshment one of the small
March 11th, 1862 – “Whereas it has pleased Almighty God, the Grand
Architect and Ruler of the Universe, to take from our midst the soul of
our deceased Brother, James E. Perley, therefore, resolved, That while
we bow with submission to this affliction, dispensation of the Divine
Will, we yet must mourn the loss of one whose sterling integrity and
probity as a man – whose tried fidelity as a friend – whose exemplary
life as a citizen, commanded the respect of all, while his unwearied
zeal and diligence as a Mason, in the service of the Craft – and
particularly of this Lodge – will entitle him to be called a Brother
At the same meeting (March 11th, 1862) “Brother Edgar intimated that he
had been deputized by the members of Zetland Lodge to confer with this
Lodge and arrange for the burial of Bro. Adam Walters on Thursday next
at 3 o’clock. It was agreed to meet and join Zetland on that occasion.”
May 13th, 1862 – “Visitors, Bros. Edgard Dakin of St. Mary’s Lodge,
Digby, and C.E.D. Snow, James VanBuskird, John Cobb and J.N.S. Marshall
of Zetland Lodge.”
June 10th, 1862 – “Visitors present, Past Master Murray of Keith Lodge,
Halifax; W. Master Smith, Bros. Snow, Marshall, Buskirk of Zetland
July 9th, 1862 – “Visitors present, Bro. Jacob Whitmen of St. John
Lodge, Greenwich, and five brothers from Zetland.”
August 12th, 1862 – “Among other visitors was Brother ‘Nathan Hart of
John Hancock Lodge of New York’.”
Sept. 9th, 1862 – “Bro. Allen wished to withdraw from the Lodge &
resigned his position as Secretary. Moved by Bro. Collie seconded by
Bro. Morton that the words of a charge contained in the Minutes of the
May meeting be erased, being not passed.”
The offending and censored words found in the Minutes of May 13th, 1862,
“A charge was preferred by S.J.M. Allen against M.F. Agnew for
misconduct. It was placed in the hands of Committee of Management for
This was the first trouble in the Lodge, and by it Prince of Wales lost
the second of its fifteen founders.
Sept. 8th, 1863 – “A petition from Bro. Samuel Grant of Union Lodge No.
994 of Halifax wishing to be raised to the sublime degree of a Master
Mason, was read and received, and a Lodge of Emergency ordered to be
held on Thursday evening Sept. 15th for that purpose.” The Minutes state
that the Fellowcraft Brother received his degree as ordered.
Aug. 9th, 1864 – “A proposition for the Grand Lodge inviting Prince of
Wales Lodge to join in the procession in laying the corner stone of the
new public building, was discussed;” and it was carried unanimously ”
that it would not be convenient to attend as a Lodge.”
Dec. 13th, 1864 – “that on St. John’s Day we meet at Zetland to join in
procession and proceed to Prince of Wales Lodge to install the W. Master
and officers.” The first burning of a Prince of Wales Lodge Room was
Milton members were now more numerous in the Lodge, and removal to that
place was considered. The Minutes of an Emergency meeting held on Nov
28th, 1865 states:
“A communication from the P.G. Secretary was read authorizing the
removal of Prince of Wales Lodge to Milton. The vote was then taken and
it passed unanimously.” But it was some months before this move can be
detected in the Minutes.
March 13th, 1866 – “Considerable discussion arose about the propriety of
reading the Minutes of a Master Masons’ Lodge before Entered
The removal to Milton was carried into effect in the summer of 1866.
“Regular communication of Prince of Wales Lodge for the first time in
their new hall at Milton Aug. 7th, 5866” etc. etc. “Moved by Bro.
Hallett, seconded by Bro. Scobey, that the furniture of the Lodge be
insured for $300.00, and that the W. M. do insure it for above amount.
The new quarters of the Lodge was the hall over Wyman’s Factory. This
hall had been partly used in former days as a bowling alley; and
afterwards as a drill hall. The Masons rented the Northwest end of the
upper floor, while Mr. Wyman used the Southeast end. The northwest end
of the ground floor was Mr. Wyman’s factory; and the Southeast end was
used as a grocery store by Mr. Murray, and in 1876 by Mr. Joseph N.
Freeman. Joseph B. Wyman, the landlord of the Lodge, was a woodworker
skilled in his craft; and along his own lines a leader in local
enterprise. He did planing and turning; made boxes, furniture, coffins,
mouldings, washing machines, churns, staves, and invented a cheese
October 9th, 1866 – “Bros. Zoeth Freeman, S.L. Freeman, J.M. Freeman
were appointed to procure a stove &c. for the Lodge room.”
March 12th, 1867 – “Grand Lodge Circular & Hiram Lodge Circular, read. A
committee, the W.M., J. Collie, & J.W. were appointed to post themselves
up on the question and report. Grand Lodge communication read.”
April 9th, 1867 – “Your committee appointed to report on the Circular
from the Grand Lodge, NS beg leave to report as follows: That
irrespective of any irregularities in the formation of the GLNS, your
committee cannot ignore the necessity of forming such Lodge, and hence
the propriety of acknowledging its authority. After considerable
discussion Bro. N. R. Freeman moved and Bro. Hallett seconded that the
report be received. And that some copies of it be struck off and sent to
the Grand Lodge and sister Lodges.”
June 11th, 1867 – ” A Mr. Smith requested the use of the Hall to hold
and Orange Lodge. Question deferred.”
No Minutes of any regular communication of Prince of Wales Lodge can be
found from Nov. 12th, 1867 to Feb 9th, 1869. As none of the members
previous to 1869 are living today (1926), no explanation form the
break in the Lodge work can be given. We have opinions on the matter,
but they may not be correct.
Feb. 9th, 1869 – “In reference to Grand Lodge Communications, the
following preamble and resolution was moved and passed unanimously.
“Whereas it appears from communications from District Grand Lodge
that arrangements are being made to unite the so-called Lodge of Nova
Scotia with the District Grand Lodge and form an Independant Grand Lodge
the 24th of June next. THEREFORE RESOLVED
THAT the Officers
and Members of Prince of Wales Lodge, are willing as heretofore to do
everything in their power to heal existing difficulties and cheerfully
acquiese in any arrangement that will unite the whole Fraternity in one
Feb. 12th, 1869 – “Communication from the Secretary Grand Lodge in
reference to Charter read and Scrip attached as requested.”
Previous to 1870 officers were elected in December, but in that year the
election took place in April.
June 14th, 1870 – “That the amount of fifteen dollars be paid for the
There are two sets of minutes for this meeting. The other read –
“That the amount of fifteen dollars be paid for expenses of picnick
on Coffin’s Island. Moved by Bro. J.H. Cook, seconded by Bro. Rupert
Freeman that Bros. N.R. Freeman, L.H. Burnaby & E. M. Freeman be a
committee to act in unison with a committee from Zetland Lodge to look
after the picnick.”
September 12th, 1871 – “that Brother Holmes should make eighteen aprons
for this Lodge and bring in his bill accordingly.”
Dec. 12th, 1871 – “that all fees and dues be taken in Canadian Currency
commencing at this meeting.”
Nov. 12th, 1872 – “Brother L.S. Ford moved that a committee be appointed
to visit the founders of this Lodge and see who wished to become
honorary members. Seconded by Bro. J.P. Freeman and adopted.” The
committee chosen were Bros. N.R. Freeman and J.H. Harlow.”
February 11th, 1873 – “that a committee of five members be appointed to
prepare a petition to have Prince of Wales Lodge No. 29 R.N.S.
incorporated at the next session of Provincial Parliament. Worshipful
Master appointed Jas. N. Freeman, I.P. Freeman, L.S. Ford, E.M. Freeman
and John H. Harlow the committee on above motion.”
April 8th, 1873 – “that a vote of thanks be given brother Robie S.
Sterns for his present of a flag to Prince of Wales Lodge.” Brother
Sterns was a member of Joseph Warren Lodge, Mass., and had just
affiliated with Prince of Wales.”
May 12th, 1874 – “It was moved by Broth. James Tupper seconded by Broth.
Robie Kempton and adopted by the Lodge, that Brother Zoeth Freeman be
presented with forty Dollars out of the funds of this Lodge to aid him
in the great loss he recently met with in nearly having his house
consumed by burning.”
Aug. 11th, 1874 – “A statement presented of Brother Gilbert Kempton
concerning money hired from the Lodge by him and showing a bal. of
interest due owing to losses met in consequence of the late failures of
the Banks of Acadia and Liverpool amounting to $4.00 was ordered to be
Feb. 9th, 1875 – “The following resolution was moved by Broth. N.R.
Freemand seconded by Broth. Jas. Tupper and adopted by the Lodge.
whereas Mr. J.M. Mack made application to this Lodge for the degrees of
Freemasonry, and doubt having existed in the mind of the W.M., he order
the Sec. to ask for information from the Grand Sect, having written the
Grand Sect. explaining the case. The Grand Sect. replied on a postal
card. Therefore resolved that it is the opinion of Prince of Wales
Lodge, that the manner in which the Grand Sect. has treated their
correspondence is unmasonic and an insult to this Lodge.
The W.M. order the Sec. to forward the above resolution to the Sec. of
the Grand Lodge. Brother N.R. Freeman after some remarks in reference
to Mr. J.M. Mack gave notice he inteded to press for a Ballot at our
next regular communication unless satisfactory reasons are given in the
meantime why he should not take such action.” etc. etc.
“Lemuel R. Morton
March 9th, 1875 – “Brother Howard Katherns a candidate having received
his first and second degree in the Lodge and being unable to attend this
Lodge expresses his desire for this Lodge to grant him a dispensation to
take his third degree in Keith Lodge No. 16 Bear River.” Request
April 13th, 1875 – “that Broths. Rupert Freeman, L.R. Morton & J.W.
Minard be appointed as a committee to furnish such necessary furniture,
as charts &c. that the Lodge now requires.”
April 13th, 1875 – “that a committee be appointed to take charge of the
room during the time occupied in conferring the last part of the third
June 8th, 1875 – “The letter of Broth. Curran Grand Sec. was read in
open Lodge. After proper discussion it was moved by Broth. Hendry sec.
by Broth. Minard and adopted by the Lodge that Broth. Curran be
exonerated from all blame, & that the Secretary write that his apology
was accepted by this Lodge. It was moved, seconded and adopted that Mr.
Mack’s money be refunded to him.” So closes the Mack incident. The
gentleman referred to, is at present (1926) President of the
Legislative Council of NS, and probably the only survivor of those who
took part in the affair.
Some evidence of dissatisfaction now appeared with the Hall in the Winan
Block. An attempt was made to locate some other place for meeting.
Jan. 11th, 1876 – “The committee appointed to find a more suitable hall
than we now occupy submitted their report, stating that the hall of
Stewart Freeman Esq. could be had with all adjoining rooms for the sum
of 70. per year.”
Feb 8th, 1876 – “The committee appointed to effect a bargain with
Stewart Freeman Esq. for the lease of his Hall for the use of this Lodge
submitted their report, they having come to the conclusion that said
Hall is not a suitable place for the holding of our meetings & further
submitted a report and presented a plan of a Hall that Mr. Wyman will
erect & rent to us at $70. per year. We being able to move into it the
month of September this year.
March 14th, 1876 – “The committee submitted their report in reference to
the New Hall Mr. Wyman purposes building and after a lengthy discussion
it was adopted that same be deferred until our next regular meeting, and
in addition to the present standing committee Brothers Jas. Tupper,
Rupert Freeman & Ira Freeman were appointed to arrange something more
definite than we now have with Mr. Wyman.”
At the next regular meeting Mr. Wynan’s more definite proposal came
before the Lodge and through the opposition of Brothers N.R. Freeman and
L.R. Morton was turned down. At the May communication Brothers Hendry,
S. Kempton and Edward Freeman secured the rescinding of this action and
induced the Lodge to adopt Mr. Wyman’s proposal. Brothers Hendry,
George H. Bell and Gilbert were appointed a “committee to superintend
the erection and all business in connection with the building of the
Hall.” Matters of finance in connection with the proposed new Hall
received action in June, but the whole scheme never got beyond the
initial stage of talk.
The story of the fire that deprived the Masons of their Hall at Milton
is kept in remembrance by a record and exhibit that hang on the south
wall of the present lodge room. It appears that someone searching the
ruins after the fire, located and secured the Lodge Bible, portions of
which were unburned. This was rescued and for some years kept in the
blacksmith’s shop of Brother George H. Bell. It is said by some that
the square and compass were inside the Bible when found. What was left
of the Book was eventually presented to the Lodge; and placed in a glass
case with the following explanation:
“Relics of Holy Bible at one time one of the Great Lights of Prince of
Wales Lodge, A.F. & A.M., No. 29 R.N.S., recovered from the ruins of the
Wyman Building, in which the Lodge met. This building stood on the
northeast side of the Main Street near the brook, between the Baptist
Church and the Church of Christ, and was totally destroyed by fire on
the night of November 15th, A.L. 5876, A.D. 1876, the Lodge losing all
of its property including the Charter.”
The last Lodge meeting had been on the night of November 14th, and a
tradition exists outside the Lodge that the “Masons were the last in the
building.” From this, there is a possibility that the fire really took
place on the morning of November 15th and not on that night as our
little record shows.
No living Milton Mason saw this fire; and authentic information comes
from outside the Lodge. Mr. Andrew Kempton who can be accepted as a very
reliable witness, states that he arrived at the scene of the fire about
two o’clock A.M. The blaze was then confined to the southeast end of the
building, showing strong evidence of Mr. J.N. Freeman’s store being the
place where the fire started. Mr. Parker K. Freeman, another reliable
witness, states that the Masons saved their flag; and that he remembers
it later being in the custody of Brother John G. Wentzell. But most of
the witnesses usually end their narrative with the same indentical words
– “The Bible fell in the brook.” Venerable Brother Rufus C. Ford says
that if the Bible had been put away in the Ark where it should be, it
would explain the falling into the brook.
There was common talk, and the story is still handed down in some
quarters, that two young Milton burglars had broken into Mr. Joseph N.
Freeman’s store on that night; and that to cover the evidence of their
theft they burned the building.
In securing new quarters for the Lodge, Brother Nathan R. Freeman took
the initiative. But in the meantime, the courtesy of Zetland placed the
Liverpool lodge room at the disposal of the Milton Craft.
“Regular Meeting of Prince of Wales Lodge, held at Liverpool on the 13th
day of March A.D. 1877, in Zetland Lodge Room, Wor. Master in the Chair.
Minutes of last regular meeting (Nov 14th) read, and approved, after
which there was some talk about the legality of resolutions passed at
special meetings held Feb 13th, 19th and 23rd.
Moved by Bro. Ira P. Freeman & 2nd by Bro. G. Kempton that the Lodge
adopt the resolutions passed at meetings held 13th Feb. Communication
from the Grand Secretary read with reference to renewal of Charter.
Also Com. from Queens and Port Mulgrave Lodges containing donations of
$20.00 & $10.00″ etc. etc.
“After the election of officers, Bro. N.R. Freeman submitted the deed
&c. of Land Bot. of S. Freeman & Sons Estate. Moved by Bro. N.R. Freeman
& 2nd by Bro. L.R. Morton that the Trustees give Bonds to the Amt. of
$100.00 that should they resign, be demitted, suspended or expelled,
that they will withdraw as Trustees of the property purchased for Lodge
Room.” etc. etc.
“Moved by Bro. E.M. Freeman and 2nd by Bro. Rupert Freeman that the Amt.
donated to Bro. James Christopher be discontinued til further action.”
An emergency communication was held on April 28th, 1877, but the minutes
are not extant. The first regular meeting in the present (1926) Lodge
Room was on Dec. 11th, 1877. The Minutes state “held at Milton.” At a
regular communication on April 9th, 1878, “After the installation there
was some conversation about insuring the Lodge Building, but nothing
done with reference to it.”
From these selections from the Minutes it must be evident that Prince of
Wales Lodge was now a landed proprietor and owned its own Lodge Room and
plot of land on which it sat.
The building itself had some slight history. the lower part had been
used as a store by Simeon and Samuel D. Kempton around 1840. In 1846
and for a few years after, the Minute book of the “Milton Friendly
Society” shows that the Society used the hall above the store for their
Lodge Room. The “Sons of temperance” also appear by this Minute book to
have used the hall in 1846 for a similar purpose.
The Lodge now having complete control of their building, they could
either tear down or build up, as they saw fit. they elected to tear
down. The shed attached to the building became offensive to some.
12th day of Nov. A.D. 1878 – “After some discussion about the propriety
of removing the shed attached to the building, it was moved by Bro.
Rupert Freeman and seconded by Bro. N.R. Freeman that the W. M. be a
committee to see to the removing it.”
Dec. 10th, 1878 – “After some discussion with reference to the renting
of the store under the Hall, it was moved by Bro. James Tupper and
seconded by Bro. Thomas Tupper that the W. M. and Wardens be a committee
to rent the store to the best advantage to all concerned.”
Feb 11th, 1879 – “Br. Cleveland 2nd by Bro. N.R. Freeman moved that the
Anti Room below stairs be finished and that Bros. S. & P. Kempton
perform the work.”
April 8th, 1879 – “Communication from Mr. Samuel Freeman wishing to rent
the store under the Lodge Room. Decided not to rent at all.”
May 13th, 1879 – “Communication from Zetland Lodge, threatening to
report us to the Grand Lodge for conferring a degree of Masonry on Mr.
Angus Wentzell of Moose Harbour, should we persist in conferring further
degrees; they claiming him as being under their jurisdiction. In reply
we referred them to Chapter 14, Section 42 for further instruction.”
June 10th, 1879 – “Communication from Zetland Lodge alluding in
sarcastic language to the satisfactory manner regarding our proceedings
in obtaining members. Moved by James Tupper and 2nd by Bro. Ira Freeman
that we return the letter and say in answer that as our proceedings
were so satisfactory we hoped we would not be troubled in future by
threatenings as heretofore.” etc. etc.
Moved by Bro. L.S. Ford and 2nd by Bro. E.M. Freeman that the Secretary
should write to the Secretary of Grand Lodge, regarding the jurisdiction
of Zetland and Prince of Wales Lodges.
Moved in amendment by Bro. James Tupper that we take no further action
in the matter. Amendment carried.”
July 11th, 1882 – “Notice given by some Brother of Bro. Gallant’s widow
wanting help to buy a sewing machine, she needing help.”
These were meagre and lean years for both Milton and Liverpool.
Aug. 8th, 1882 – “Moved and seconded that the sum of Ten Dollars be
given Bro. Gallant’s widow. Carried unanimous.”
July 10th, 1883 – “Brother Milton Douglas spoke of the burial of Brother
Anderson and the Secretary was ordered to communicate with the Grand
Lodge of Massachusetts in regards to erecting a headstone for Broth.
Aug. 14th, 1883 – “Moved” etc. etc. “that Bro. Ira P. Freeman have the
shop underneath this room for $16.00 for the coming year and put
suitable repairs upon it, not to exceed $16.00. Moved and passed that
Bro. Ira P. Freeman pay the Lodge $12.00 for the rent for the past
Jan. 8th, 1884 – “that a suitable rail be put on the stairs.”
Feb 12th, 1884 – “that the furnishing committee procure two tables, one
for the Treasurer, one for the Secretary.”
August 12th, 1884 – “Moved and seconded that Mr. Gates be notified to
remove his organ. Moved in amendment that we try to purchase the organ.
Amendment lost, motion carried.”
Dec. 9th, 1884 – “bro. Ira P. Freeman offered $20.00 rent for the shop
for the year 1885.” offer accepted.
Aug. 11th, 1885 – “Motion made by Bro. Rupert Freeman, seconded by Bro.
Ira P. Freeman, that the ale remaining on hand be presented to Mr.
Robert Kempton.” Motion passed.
March 8th, 1887 – “Moved by Bro. N.C. Freeman seconded by Bro. Hemeon
that we grant the Twelve Brothers on the petition from Caledonia their
request to hold a Lodge of Instruction admitting no others than they can
vouch for as Brothers in good standing.”
May 12th, 1887 – “Having received correspondence from the Brethren in
Caledonia wishing us to give them a recommendation to the Grand Lodge of
NS in order to obtain a Dispensation, and after hearing from Bro. Ira P.
Freeman who was appointed to examine them in their masonic workings,
spoke of them in highest terms and it was moved by Bro. N.R. Freeman
seconded by Bro. Ira Freeman that we grant our brothers a
recommendation, which was passed.”
August 9th, 1887 – “Bro. Telfer being present gave us a report of the
Lodge of Instruction at Caledonia.”
These last items give us some information on the start of Mechanics
Lodge at Caledonia, formed by members of Prince of Wales Lodge resident
in Northern Queens.
At this time some members of Prince of Wales either felt the pinch of
penury or considered that a full lodge treasury was undesirable. For the
Lodge was considering a reduction in the dues.
April 10th, 1888 – “Brother N. R. Freeman’s motion to reduce the dues to
Twelve and one-half cents per month or one dollar and fifty cents for
one year passed by a unanimous vote of the Lodge.”
“Emergency Meeting of Prince of Wales Lodge No. 29 met in the Zetland
Hall at Liverpool on the 16th day of Nov. 1890 for the purpose of
interring the body of our late Bro. H.C. Holmes.” etc. etc.
This was the passing of the first Tyler of the Lodge, its only coloured
member, its only artist and one of the thirteen organizers of Prince of
Dec. 9th, 1890 – “Bros. Ira P. Freeman, D.T. Moody, George H. Bell and
John C. Greeno were appointed a committee to ascertain how many of the
Bros. will attend the hot supper to be had at Liverpool on St. John’s
Aug. 9th 1892 – “that Prince of Wales Lodge donate Twenty Dollars to the
suffering Brothers at St. John’s N. F.”
Dec. 13th, 1892 – “moved by Bro. Ira P. Freeman seconded by Bro. J.C.
Greeno, that the Lodge have a social on the evening of St. John’s Day
and a Sermon in the day.”
At an emergency meeting on April 22nd, 1895 to arrange for the funeral
of Bro. A.J. Ford, it was passed on Bro. Baker’s motion that “When we
meet at the Lodge Room, should there be a sufficient number present to
carry the corpse, we shall do so, if not have it carried in the hearse.”
The Reverend Brother was making a decided innovation. How fortunate that
the departed was such a small man.
Feb. 9th, 1897 – “On motion of Bro. M.F. Brown seconded by Bro. R. C.
Ford the Lodge will rent Mr. R. Owen the store under the room for the
sum of one dollar per month for a barber shop, providing he does not
use it for other purposes such as playing cards or drinking
June 8th, 1897 – “Moved by Bro. J.W. Smith, seconded by Bro. Ira P.
Freeman and passed, that Prince of Wales Lodge attend the celebration of
the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee to be held at Liverpool on June 22nd and
join in the procession with Zetland Lodge.”
Dec. 9th, 1902 – “That the members of Prince of Wales Lodge have a tea
in the Lodge room on the 27th instant and that Bros. A.K. Freeman, James
Mills, D.R. Ford, Samuel Wentzell, C.E. Forbes and Ingram Freeman be a
committee to arrange for the tea.”
June 12th, 1903 – “that Bros. Ira P. Freeman and N.C. Freeman make
necessary inquiry concerning the cost of installing and maintaining
Electric lights in our Hall and report at our next meeting.”
On July 21st 1903 the members of Prince of Wales went to Liverpool to
attend the funeral of Brother Henry B. Hallet, first Senior Warden of
the Lodge, the second Master and one of the fifteen founders. Through
the kindness and courtesy of Zetland, that Lodge room was placed at the
disposal of the Milton Craft. On the return from the grave, it was
“passed that a message of condolence be conveyed to Miss Bartlett, niece
of our departed Brother H. B. Hallet expressing our sympathy in this her
time of sorrow and utter loneliness.”
July 11th, 1905 – “passed that Bro. F.R. Freeman procure a Mug for the
use of the members of the Lodge.” – “passed that Bros. Frank Mooers and
E.A. Huskins be a committee to put ventilation in the Hall so to make
the Lodge room more comfortable.”
May 7th, 1866 – “Moved by Bro. Hallet, seconded by Bro. N.R. Freeman
that Bro. Holmes be employed to paint a carpet for the lodge. After some
discussion it passed in the affirmative, and a committee, the W.M., Bro.
Hallett & L.S. Ford were appointed to see resolution carried into
Feb. 11th, 1879 – “Communication received from Bro. H. C. Holmes
together with a present to the Lodge of a Master’s Carpet for which a
vote of thanks was tendered.”
July 8th, 1879 – “Bill of W. Frazer for Lodge Chairs for Lodge presented
and ordered to be paid.”
August 9th, 1881 – “Moved by Bro. Rupert Freeman, and 2nd by Bro. James
M. Freeman that the Trustees insure our Building for the sum of $500.00
at the rate of one and one-half percent. As our Building requires
painting very much it was decided on motion of Bro. Rupert Freeman and
2nd by Bro. A.W. Murray that the W.M. be impowered to see about the
painting of said building, and have it done this Fall if possible. It
was also agreed that the W.M. furnish curtains for our Lodge Room at the
expense of the Lodge.”
September 13th, 1881 – Among bills approved – “account of Bro. H.C.
Holmes for painting and ornamenting $9.12.”
December 13th, 1881 – “that the standing committee procure a suitable
chandelier for the Lodge Room,” etc. etc. “that the standing committee
procure all necessary furniture for the Lodge.”
The history of the Chart so greatly prized by Milton Masons and hand
painted by our departed Brother Henry C. Holmes, is shown clearly in the
Nov. 14th, 1882 – “Bill of Bro. H.C. Holmes’ of $20.00 for chart, read,
passed and ordered paid.”
October 14th, 1890 – “Moved, seconded and passed that the Lodge procure
The officers’ regalia used at present by the lodge was purchased in
December of 1922. This consummation was brought about through Brother
Rufus C. Ford, who took the initiative, and was appointed by the Lodge
to make the purchase.
The most important event of Prince of Wales history in recent years is
the purchase of the adjoining corner lot in 1924. Brother George W. Wile
accidently found that this corner could be purchased for the use of the
Masons. With Brother Fred F. Kempton he secured an option on it for
$150.00. This was a good buy, and when the matter was placed before the
Lodge it was decided to make the deal. Brother wile was appointed a
convenor of a committee to fence the lot. This corner had since the
memory of the oldest citizen been one of the eye-sores of Milton. The
“Womens’ Institute” requested Bro. Wile to brighten it up a bit. The
Craft turned out in force and did a little operative work. A concrete
foundation, in some places four feet below the surface, was laid, making
a neat curbing on three sides of the lot; the cannon at the corner which
had a heavy list to the westward was righted and set firmly in cement;
an iron pipe rail fence with two gates was set in the curbing; and the
plot itself graded and sown with clover. All in time to present an
attractive appearance for the Milton Day celebration of 1925, which was
what was worrying the good ladies of the Institute. The work and
materials cost in the neighbourhood of $400.00. Much of this was donated
by members of the Craft; and some by outsiders. In August a garden
party was held by the Lodge, the proceeds going far to pay the balance
of the expense.
In connection with this, Brother Daniel T. Moody proved a most
successful solicitor; and called on all for help, whether connected
with the Order or not. The response with which he met, showed that the
old anti-Masonic sentiment of Milton had become very feeble.
A. F. & A. M., No.
29, R. N. S.
|George W. Boehner||1861, 1862, 1863|
|Henry B. Hallett||1864, 1865|
|Joshua N. Freeman||1866, 1867, 1870|
|Simeon Freeman||1867, 1868, 1869|
|Nathan R. Freeman||1871, 1891|
|Elkanah M. Freeman||1872, 1874, 1889|
|Ira Pride Freeman||1873, 1877, 1878, 1881, 1882, 1884, 1889|
|Zoeth Freeman||1875, 1876|
|George A. Cleveland||1879|
|James Tupper||1883, 1885|
|Newton C. Freeman||1887, 1888|
|H. Thomas tupper||1890|
|George H. Bell||1892, 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896|
|Rufus C. Ford||1897|
|Daniel T. Moody||1898, 1899, 1900|
|Daniel R. Ford||1901|
|Malachi F. Brown||1902, 1903|
|James Mills||1905, 1906, 1912, 1913, 1914, 1921, 1924|
|Ingram W. freeman||1907|
|Fred R. Freeman||1908, 1909, 1910, 1916, 1917, 1918|
|H. Bernard Freeman||1911|
|H. Allen Fraser||1919, 1920|
|John A. Forbes||1922, 1923, 1925|
|Edwin C. Mills||1926|
Which gives 27 Masters of the Lodge in 66 years.
Francis F. Tupper
Committee appointed to compile History of Lodge
August 25, 1926